Saturday 6 December 2008

Scaremongering

Disingenuous Rhetorical Ploy

Scay-yer-Mun-Gerr-Ring

Upon being faced with a terrorist atrocity, a despicable attempt to spread dangerous levels of calm, reason and a sense of proportion amongst the Not-Yet-Murdered*.

The disgusting insinuation that Decents would attempt to smuggle bad policies past the populace by terrifying them into submission, made while wilfully ignoring the fact that suicide bombers will kill all of your children and pets by Christmas, ergo we must bomb Tehran.

*"Not-Yet-Murdered" - A snappy phrase meaning "Civilians", as coined by Professor Norman Geras, 2008.

From the annals of Decency - "
Will an Iraq war make our Al Qaeda problem worse? Not likely." - Title of Slate Magazine article by Comrade Hitchens, 5/2/2003

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I woke this morning, I patted myself down and let out a huge sigh of relief that I was still not-yet-murdered. Maybe tomorrow?

Ha. He said 'Guardianista'.

Larry Teabag said...

'ckin hell. And three was me thinking Normblog had been more sensible recently. Still "Not Yet Murdered" is amazing - surely it deserves an entry of its own?

flyingrodent said...

Poor impulse control, I think - God knows I know what it's like to hit "Publish Post" before I've taken a moment to think, Wait, is this going to make me look like a bit of a twat?

Just wait 'til he gets a load of the papers tomorrow, though. I can hear the pounding of war bongos in the distance, and it's surely only a matter of time before all manner of Sensible Liberals show exactly how much they've learned in the past five years by calling for bombing raids on Harare.

ejh said...

It might be a cricket thing, actually. Like "to be arranged" or "did not bat".

Unknown said...

I was going to congratulate him on remaining part of the "Not-Yet-Murdered" but I can't seem to be able to leave a comment on his blog...